sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

97 Jetta won't start. Battery is fine. I think it is the

Customer Question

97 Jetta won't start. Battery is fine. I think it is the anti theft system. Doesn't even turn over. How res resetting anti theft?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No turn over. Battery brand new
JA: What year is your Jetta?
Customer: 97
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Myself would be nice
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have tried locking and unlocking driver door with manual key to reset alarm stern
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Manually unlocking the doors or pressing the unlock button on the key fob will disarm factory security provided the system is working correctly. I'm not sure that you have an alarm related issue though.

Was the alarm actually sounding?
Did the engine start and die?

Are you seeing an alarm light flashing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought it was an alarm sounding but after viewing some youtubes i think the sound might have been just the bells and whistles that jettas make when you insert the key. No alarm light. The trunk locked itself shut, key wouldn't work. But i later found the trunk release in the center console. The engine never would even turn over/crank for me. Acted like either totally dead or locked out (the theft system). I put a meter on the battery, it was charged. I could run the a/c blower and headlights and radio and everything without any sign of battery weakness. Maybe the starter just happened to die?

It's definitely possible that the problem could be the starter. Do you hear a click from the engine compartment when trying crank it?