vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

I have just had repaired the torque convertor on a 2002

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have just had repaired the torque convertor on a 2002 Caravelle 2.5 TDi 4-speed auto and it is all back together now. It runs OK but with a slight issue. It would not manually select 1, 2 or 3, only 'D' for forward gears, but topping up the ATF fluid seems to have cured that. Now the only problem is that in 'D' it stays in 3rd and will not kick down or set off in anything other than 3rd. If I manually select 1st to set off, it sets off OK, but if I then transfer to 'D', it briefly passes into 2nd before moving onto 3rd, where it remains. On an older automatic i would have suspected the kickdown cable but there isn't one so I am stuck. Can you help me please.
Many thanks, Dave
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.

I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

There is a fault stored in the trans control unit and vag com is needed to see what fault(s) are stored

do you have a scan tool to see?

thanks Dave!!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Wolfgang,That sounds OK to work between us like that. I have a couple of ODBII readers if they will do. I also know someone who will have more sophisticated equipment. I cannot understand why there would be a fault code however as everything was running OK before I took the torque converter out. I needed to take it out to have a new ring gear welded to it since the starter motor had scrubbed off many of the teeth over the period of a few years. Apart from the gear selection problems I mentioned before, the vehicle is running perfectly. I will try plugging in my fault code readers later and see what they show, if anything. There may be a time delay in our communications as I am based in France and I do not know where you are based, but I am hoping that we can sort it in a reasonable time. Thanks, Dave
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

some code readers will not read the trans control module so beware. Vag com is the scan tool of choice.