Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

I have a 1999 VW Cabrio 2.0, auto with overdrive. All is

Customer Question

I have a 1999 VW Cabrio 2.0, auto with overdrive. All is fine with the car, but I am not sure if the OD is actually working. At 65 mph the tach reads 2850 rpm, which seems very high to me. Is there a solenoid or other switch that is preventing the OD from engaging or is this simply a high RPM auto. Thanks. R.
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The speed look about correct for me. I have found a web site that will help you to calculate the speed.

http://www.engineersedge.com/mechanics_machines/transmission-gear-ratio-calculator.htm

This should assist you but if you need more information please do not hesitate to ask me.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I looked at the web site and I simply do not have the information to fill out the table. My question was to know if there was a solenoid or other device that activated the OD. I have had many cars with Automatic OD and at 65 mph the tach usually reads about 2200 rpm.This Cabrio reads 2800 rpm which seems very high. This is a four speed automatic transmission with OD and when I count the gear shifts while driving I only count three shifts up. The transmission was fully serviced two years ago. Thanks for your added input. R.
Expert:  Martin replied 4 months ago.

Yes there is a solenoid inside the transmission that select the overdrive. If when you say you can only feel three shifts up then something must be amiss. Usually the solenoids get sticky as the fluid becomes tacky with age. The guy that has done the service would have stripped the transmission pan of and drain the fluid but not remove the solenoid bank to clean it.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. If the problem is a sticky or defective solenoid for the OD how do you repair it? Do you have to open up the transmission or do you remove the pan and clean or change the solenoid? How long would it take for a mechanic to do the job?Thanks: R.
Expert:  Martin replied 4 months ago.

Yes one can repair it by taking the pan of and then the solenoid valve bank. The time will depend on what the problem is. There cloud be a wiring problem inside the transmission or sticky solenoids or bad contacts meaning cracked or loose soldering at the plug but all in all it should not take more than two hours.

Greetings,

Martin.