peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

2008 VW Jetta 2.5l Ignition Key will not turn all the way to

Customer Question

2008 VW Jetta 2.5l
Ignition
Key will not turn all the way to start car
Cannot roll up windows or take out of park
Had the issue for about 2 weeks now and it's gotten progressively worse until now when I cannot get it to start at all.
I believe ignition lock. Steering wheel DOES come out of locked posiition and wheel WILL turn.
My question is if I can remove the ignition switch from its assembly can I start the car using a screwdriver? If so comma How do I remove the ignition switch from the steering wheel panel? I have removed the shrouds around the steering column and I have ignition switch exposed butt I think I have to remove more parts to get ignition switch to release. It looks like the airbag system box underneath the steering column. I need to start my car to get to work and I do not have the money to repair the problem professionally
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately if you remove the ignition cylinder this will not allow starting as the key needs to be signaled from the cylinder to allow starting.This does sound like the ignition cylinder itself is at fault here needing replaced.I have seen this cylinder fail several times before in the past needing replaced for this issue here.In some cases a lock smith may be able to come out and use their tools to re key the cylinder to correct this fault but in most all cases the cylinder usually requires replacement to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete