Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

2012 Jetta TDI 2.0l, p2463 code pops up immediately after

Customer Question

2012 Jetta TDI 2.0l, p2463 code pops up immediately after being cleared. I don't even have to start the vehicle to get the code to pop up, all I do is turn the ignition on. I have checked the egt sensor, I unplugged it and a code came up saying EGT sensor Threshold limit reached, so I plugged it back in and disconnected the rear o2 sensor and nothing came up, just p2463
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the key and there is some hesitation when turning the key but it is driveable
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I'm a mechanic here at my shop and all ive done was check the particulate filter and try to isolate the issue. I get an egr code too
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The computer checks the code for 200 milliseconds and if it sees a fault the code sets.This is why you see the code set so fast here.

This can be an issue with the exhaust pressure sensor 1 or that the filter needs to have a regen done to correct this issue.My guess since it comes up so quick with just the key on this is the sensor at fault or wiring from the sensor to the computer shorted needing repaired or the computer itself at fault needing replaced.This will all need checked into.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alright, tomorrow I will replace the pressure sensor with a parts car I have. I also mistaken the dpf with the N02 canister. Before I take the dpf out, I'll mess with the sensors since it's easier.

Sounds good.Let me know how this turns out here when your ready.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.

I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need some more information

1. i do need a vin # ***** the vehicle.
  2. were there any other codes stored with the p2463 fault before clearing?
  3. if you take a rag and go to the tail pipe and wipe inside then inspect the rag is it black?
  4. how many miles on the odometer?
  5. what scan tool you have? make and model?

thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are two codes. The non erasing p2463 and the occurring p2413 with says egr mechanical malfunction. But I think that is related to the dpf error. I have a snap on verus
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hi im kevin you have two different fault codes the first easy one is the 2413 the egr valve needs to be replaced very common on this engine .comes with cooler .the second we need to check live data to see what exhaust pressure is reading on idle please

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

ok did you check the tail pipe for black soot ? please let me know!! thanks Wolfgang

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just took out the o2 right after the turbo, used my stethoscope, stuck it down inside and it does have a generous amount of soot blocking the flow. About 3/16 of build up. Tail pipe does not have black soot at the exhaust tips
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

ok the soot there at the 02 is normal.

ok please use expert mode of your versus and can you give me values of measure value block 241 and 243 please.

thanks