vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

Code p0036, changed sensor still have engine light on after

Customer Question

Code p0036, changed sensor still have engine light on after reset
JA: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?
Customer: No I havent
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 06 Jetta 2.5 . Also I change the catalytic converter . It had a cal emissions. Couldn't find one near me . I put in one that was was 49 state ok
JA: What year is your VW?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the sensor , still get the error code
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Vin # ***** no accidents or repairs . Main issue was white smoke from tail pipe. Though it was head gasket. Coolant was normal, oil was not discolored and no moisture under oil cap. Cat was going bad. Had a rattle noise inside found by my mechanic. I did try a head sealer to be sure and replaced the cat because I knew I would have to anyway. Smoke stopped ,but now still getting p0036 code. Car reaches normal temp no over heat but no heat from vents
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

OK which oxygen sensor was replaced please there are 3 all together. thanks