Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

My 2009 Passat will cut off while driving down the ghway and

Customer Question

My 2009 Passat will cut off while driving down the highway and sometimes it just cut off after I have been stopped at stop light and start going again. When this 1st started happening the car would pretty much restart right back up but now sometimes it does not. After sitting for a little while it seems to start right up and seems to run fine for a few minutes but the shuts off again. I have just replaced the fuel pump assembly in the gas tank and the car ran fine for a few minutes. I thought maybe I had fixed the problem but after a few minutes it shut off and would not start again until after I had let it sit for a while then it restarted with no problem. Any Ideas?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The car turns over fine. The battery is less than a year old.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2009 VW Passat 2.0T TSI
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Be sure to read my 1st post, it gives a lot of information.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

IS THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OR THE EPC LIGHT ON IN THE DASH?

ANY RECENT ACCIDENTS ON THE VEHICLE?

I DO NEED A VIN # ***** TO ASSIST

THANKS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The check engine light was reset after putting the new fuel pump in. I was letting the car idle for a few minutes after the fuel pump was replaced in hopes that the problem was fixed. After about 10 min of ideling it's just shut off again. That was Saturday when the pump was replaced. In an effort to try and diagnose one more thing I removed the mechanical high pressure fuel pump yesterday to see if I could see anything obvious that would point to that being the problem. (Nothing obvious though) I replaced the pump and just this morning I started it back up. It ran for a few minutes and shut down again. It was a little hesitant about starting again but did finally start. I did notice when I was revving the engine that it would not rev any higher than 4000 rpm's. What would that mean?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No recent accidents and the check engine light still has not come back on.
WVWJK73C29P049797
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

ok thanks for the extra info . when a fuel pump is replaced the black box is also replaced at the same time. reason is because of the old pump with high amp draw damages the module so when hot the contacts separate causing the stall!!

replace the module and you will be in great shape!!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was having the problem before I replaced the fuel pump assembly. So what you said does not correlate to my problem. The whole reason I changed the fuel pump assembly was to get a new fuel pressure regulator valve since the one time I got a code in the beginning mentioned a problem with the valve. This was done in hopes that this wold fix my problem. It obviously did not so that is why I thought I would try this service.
Your answer is too vague!
What is the black box you are making a reference to and is the reference you made to a module the same thing. Please be more specific I can't go to a store and tell them I need the black box for my car or I need a new module I will have to have a better description.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

the black box is the module

see pic !!

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

does that clarify now?

if so

I try to be online 365 days a year.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The last thing you told me to replace was the black box. I have now replaced that and that still did not fix my problem. So now I have spent $151 for the fuel pump assembly and $145 and something for the black box and I'm still having the same exact issue. My question to you now is did you read all the information that I put in the very first question I gave a lot of information there which you then turned around in your first question back to me and ask me some of the same information which makes me think that you didn't read everything I said. If you will please go back and read my very first text that I sent it may give you further insight as to why I even said in response to one of your responses to me about that does not seem to correlate to my problem but maybe I'm totally off base except for the fact that I've done what you said and I still have the same issue any help that you can provide to help get this fixed is greatly appreciated since I am already paying for this service too.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

i did read your beginning statement. As a dealer Master certified tech i asked more questions to narrow down the issue . I want to make sure you did replace the tank pump correct? because you did mention the high pump on the engine.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced the fuel pump assembly that goes in the gas tank I also stated in one of my messages that on Saturday I removed the high-pressure mechanical pump on the top of the engine to see if I could see anything that pointed to a problem there There was no obvious visible problem on the mechanical pump so I reinstalled it. Today I found the black box that you made a reference to at the local Volkswagen dealership and I replaced it and I'm still having the same issue.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since I have replaced that black box and the whole fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank other than the high-pressure pump on top of the engine what is there left for me to check or replace?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

do not replace the high pump it will not cause a stall just a epc light on in the dash. did you rescan the car for faults? if not please check .please let me know.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked for more codes this morning and there is the same code I have been getting. I think the number is ***** It is referring to the fuel pressure regulator valve again. You have mentioned the lighting the dash EPC I think it was, if there is a problem with that it will stay on, right? It comes on when starting the car but goes out once started....... What next?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

can it be p2293? if the fault was there and active then the epc light would be on . but it can be intermittent. can you look at the high pressure pump and get me the part # ***** the pump please ? thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

there is another part #

example 06h 906 443 d

please look again!!

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It looks like 06H127026K or either 8K.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

that is a old part #. there is an updated part # ***** that pump and if it has the p2293 fault and the only fault then the pump has an issue internally.

Vag com scan tool is needed to see the pump ressure values while running to see if the pressure is dropping off .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since it is an old one are you saying I should replace it? What other part of the fuel system is there in the car should I look at?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

that is the only thing left on the fuel pressure system .