vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

I have a 01 vw jetta wolfsburg edition. While i was driving

Customer Question

I have a 01 vw jetta wolfsburg edition. While i was driving on the freeway and tried to shift from 3rd to 4th gear my shfter stick went limp and it was stuck in 3rd. I imediatly turned around and drove back home in third gear and parked it. I then checked under my hood and i could shift it into other gears when the car is off by manualy moving the mecanizim under the hood. Now its in reverse. My questions are: 1 do you think i have a bad clutch cable? 2 What would be the synptoms that would identify it as a bad cable? 3 Where can i get a digram for clutch system so i can check all the parts. 4 do you think its my transmission that has gone out?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 months ago.

Is you can shift manually under the hood at the shifter with the cables disconnected off the transmission then the issue is not internal in the transmission the most common issue is the plastic components at the piece where the cables attach to the top of the transmission these crack and cause issues if these are ok then check the shifter inside the vehicle and the cables themselves they usually dont break but cause issues where they attach to the shifter on top of the transmission and inside the vehicle . I hope this helps lease dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided thank you