Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 2000 VW Passat 1.8T ATW. The timing belt needed to

Customer Question

I have a 2000 VW Passat 1.8T ATW. The timing belt needed to be replaced after chewing a patch of teeth at the crankshaft. The car had been showing an EPC warning and check engine light with a OBD Code P1517. I replaced the spark plugs which were extremely worn. The car ran great without any warning lights. While driving the car suddenly lurched and lost all power. When restart attempted there was no connectivity between the crank and cam leading to the assumption of a bad timing belt. After replacing the belt, I am not getting any spark at the plugs and have noticed an interesting anomaly; the radio/tape/CD player will now play with the key off and removed from the vehicle. Can you suggest possible problems relating to the no spark issue and is the radio situation somehow related?
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hi im kevin have you had any water ingress into car ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. The inside of the car is dry and the coolant level in the reservoir has remained consistent.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Ok in that case you have two choices either water has entered ecu box and damaged relay wiring or relay or the relay has failed heres where to check and the relay youll need to change

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I check the relay and if so how? Also, what about the engine speed sensor and camshaft position sensor?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no evidence of water or moisture in the ECU box.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Replace this relay it will almost certainly be the cause it controls engine power and camshaft adjuster power inputs

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. I replaced the relay (30) and it didn't make any difference. The car still won't start and I can't see a spark at the plugs. What's next?
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Can you test pin 121 on engine ecu it should have battery voltage with ignition on

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How is pin 121accessed? Does it require disconnecting and opening the ECU?
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Unplug multiplug from ecu and check pin on plug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Getting a reading of -0.3 with the key in both the on and off positions as well as when removed.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Can you check to see with ecu plugged in if on the main relay pin 4 switches to earth with ignition on ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now you lost me. This Haynes Manual is proving pretty worthless. It doesn't show a "main relay". Where is it located and how is it accessed?
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

The relay i told you to change this is the one we are testing from

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I located pin 4. How should I check this pin? Are you referring to checking to see if its grounded? How do I check it?
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Yes you need to see if its grounder put meter on volts put positive lead on battery positive and negative lead on pin 4 and it will show 12 volts if grounded

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm getting a reading of 9.4 because of drainage on the battery which reads 9.7.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Do you have continuity between fuse 29 inside car and pin 6 on relay

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Have you checked fuse 29 ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have continuity between fuse 29 and pin 6.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Im gonna opt out im in the uk and its late let see if another techs got any ideas

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fuse 29 checks out OK. Thanks for your input and time.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail

I do need a vin # ***** the vehicle please to get the factory wiring diagram to assist!!

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Wolfgang. My VIN is: WVWMA23B6YP342532. I look forward to your help, but will be unable to do anything until tomorrow. Do you have access to my discussions with Kevin in the UK regarding my problem and what we have already done. Accessing this information may be helpful and save time. I can answer guest ions today, but won't have access to the car until tomorrow so if I don't hear from you today I'll contact you tomorrow. Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

please look at pic you need to check the resistance of the wire highlighted from ecu to the relay connector pin .

please let me know what is the resistance

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey Wolfgang. I'm on the car now. I'm getting a resistance readingof 4.0 on tone indicated wire; pin 62 to pin 9.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

too high must be less than 1 ohm . run a another wire in paraell from 62 to 9 and see if the code goes away after clearing and starting the vehicle

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please let me start from the beginning. I first had problems when the EPC Light came on and the car stalled and would not restart for 5-10minutes. The check engine light came on so I had the OBD checked and found P1517 which Pep Boys told me was misfire code. The plugs were real bad so I replace them. The car ran great for 2 days; no codes. Then while driving the EPC came on and the car lost power. When I CE off the clutch with the car still in gear it lurched. It made a thud sound and would not restart. When I pulled the timing cover I found about an 8 inch patch of teeth torn from the belt around the crank gear. I replaced the belt and tried to start, bit it wouldn't. I mentioned to Kevin that there didn't appear to be a spark at the plugs so he got into trotroubleshooting the electronics. My concern is more why it won't start. What happened when it tore up the tining belt? Could it have damaged the head, block , pistons, or valves? Compression tester shows lack of compression in all four cycling ERS when cold engine is cranked. Is the test valid with a cold nonrunning engine? Please give me guidance on getting it running.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

thanks for letting me know this !!

with 8 teeth sheared off of the belt there is a great chance that the valves are bent . very expensive repair.

the cylinder head needs to be removed and new valves and valve job is needed.

need compression first before anything else!!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. I'll pull the head and check things out. I'll get back to you with my findings sometime next week. Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

yes my pleasure!!