vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

You charge? 2005 Jetta Wagon, Key won't turn in rear lock.

Customer Question

You charge?
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2005 Jetta Wagon
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Key won't turn in rear lock.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park. Steering wheel lock?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 3 months ago.

Do you mean the key will not turn to the off or on position ??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The key will not open the rear hatch. It will not turn. Previously it turned with difficulty. Now not at all. The button on the fob doesn't work so I have used the key for four years.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you working on this?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I see that you just charged me $28. But now you aren't responding.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's been 23 minutes.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, second problem for you to solve or ignore: Again 2005 Jetta WagonLow beams not working.When I first turn on the car and turn on the lights, they work with low beam and then the low beam goes out. One time I drove almost an hour before the low beam went out. The high beam always works.I replaced one of the headlight bulbs. No change.With the car on and the light switch turned off, the low beams are on (not the tail light), but turning the headlight on, the high beam works but not the low beam. I replaced the light switch. No change.

Sorry for the delay i lost connection , more then likely you will need a rear latch assembly for the rear tailgate , have you checked to see if you have power going to the headlights connector ??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do you access the rear latch assembly?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you read the headlight question closely? There has to be power because the lights go on but not when the should.

There are different powers there thats why i ask , a low beam and a high beam power can i ask if you have aftermarket headlights installed from like a previous accident ?? you access the rear lock mechanism by removing the rear tailgate trim panel .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They are aftermarket headlight bulbs. Do you mean the whole light unit?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was an accident, but that was 6-7 years ago and the lights have worked well until now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you working on 10 cases at once? You need to stay with me. My time is valuable.

Yes we work on many cases at once , we have seen aftermarket headlamps cause issues i would like ou to check the wires inside the headlamp assembly itself