Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

2002 VW beetle 2.0 the window won't go up and down until

Customer Question

2002 VW beetle 2.0 the window won't go up and down until I unplug the regulator motor. Then it will work for a little bit.
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to help you with this I need to know which window your referring to please. While you checking this check and see if you have battery voltage at the motor while corking the switch up and down with it plugged in. Check this and post back with complete information and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The drivers side window. It will work for alittle after I unplug the motor and plug it back in. If I leave it alone it won't go up and down anymore. It's not a amperage problem. The voltage is at 14 when running
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There's three places that have voltage going into the motor. There's one big wire that always has 12v and the other two smaller wires. I'll check right now and see if they turn off when the window stops working
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

If you getting battery voltage at the motor and a good ground while trying to operate it and the motor dose not move then that usually means the window motor/module is failing. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Take a look at the diagram and check to be sure you have a ground at the brown wire to the motor/module assembly.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20window%20VW%20Jul%206.pdf

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've replaced the module from two known good cars. No change. Is there anyway other computer that could affect it?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

No there is no computer system that could affect it. Did you verify you have a good ground?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
has a good ground
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Well if you sure you have power and ground at the motor then it should move with out having to unplug it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any programing steps for it. Like hold it up or down for an amount of time?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

There is a memory reset that requires access to a factory scan tool. See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Memory%20eraseing%20Jul%206.pdf