sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I am trying to get a smog certificate to register my 2008 VW

Customer Question

I am trying to get a smog certificate to register my 2008 VW Jetta 2.5. I successfully got the engine light to turn off. Thinking that the car would pass smog, I took it in and it failed. I then noticed that on my ODB 2 the monitors for evac and sec air were not ready and showing an inc. Ive tried cold starting my vehicle and neither code reset. Currently, my car is in my garage with a slow charge on the battery (had to jump it last week but that was because I left the the code reader attached) and a fan. Maybe my engine didn't get cold enough or the battery did not have enough voltage to reset. Tomorrow I will take it in for an oil change. As of right now, I am frustrated. Please advise. Thank you for your time.
JA: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?
Customer: Do you mean clearing the codes and start from scratch?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, from what I gathered from the BAR website is that the only two codes that have not reset are fixed by cold starting. This seems simple enough. I tried leaving it over night and then starting it. Did this for 2 days and no luck.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Let's see. It runs perfectly, adding to my frustration. lol. Pep boys said it needed a new valve cover but I looked at the spark plugs and they were fine and clean. I had it tuned up in February. Again, the engine light is off so, I don't really know where to go from here with the exception of doing some sort of ritualistic dance to reset codes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Any time fault codes are cleared or the battery dies all monitors need to run and pass again. The battery dying may be part of the issue.

Parking in a garage can also cause trouble with getting monitors to pass because it's climate controlled at least to an extent.

Park it outside and after sitting over night start the engine and let it run for three minutes without moving. This will allow the secondary air monitor to run and pass as long as there are no failures in the system.

Next take off and drive 45-55 MPH at a steady speed continuously for at least seven minutes, this shoudl allow the evap monitor to run and pass. Stop and go, heavy acceleration or deceleration will suspend the monitor and not driving long enough will prevent it from finishing. Engine load and speed need to stay in the correct range.

Usually all monitors will run and pass within a few hundred miles. If you're unable to get them to pass and no fault codes are setting then it can be driven with a scan tool in place to monitor pretest parameters and make sure it is driven in a way the monitors will pass.