vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

I have 2000 beetle tdi. ac not working. Checked 7.5a fuse

Customer Question

I have 2000 beetle tdi. ac not working. Checked 7.5a fuse and it is ok. I think this powers cruise and heated seats control. They don't seem to be working either. ac clutch doesn't sound like it is engaging. I turned cruise on, heated seats on and I'm not getting 12 volts to 7.5a fuse location. Dale
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Not at all. The car has been sitting a while. I got ac charge hose and system seems to be charged.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked electrical connection on compressor...ok, fuse is ok, checked big fuses on battery...ok, doesn't seem to get power to this particular fuse slot that controls ac, cruise, heated seats. Everything else seems to work
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 3 months ago.

When you turn on the ac do your engine fans cone on ??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Both electric fans come on when I push ac button on, and both go off when I push button off, I also checked fuse slot 16 (ac clutch, and coolant pump) and fuse was good and have 12 volts at fuse slot. I also measured 12 volts at compressor with ac button on or off. still not getting any voltage on fuse slot 5 (comfort, seats, cruise). Is there a relay feeding this fuse slot that might be bad? I replaced relay 109 several years ago.

The ac should not be affected by that fuse issue you have , if those engine fans are coming on high speed when you turn the ac on then the ac compressor should come on , the signal to the compressor is pulse width modulated how are you checking the signal there ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let's pause for a little. I went out to work on and have a dead battery. There might be a small chance that this is related to the problem. I'll replace battery and get back with you. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok....battery replaced. I drove car today and cruise control working, heated seats working (light that illuminates heated seat setting 1 thru 5 not coming on), fresh air / recir air door working... ac compressor not engaging. Fans do come on at moderate speed....doesn't seem to be fast setting from what I remember in past. ???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Disconnected high pressure switch which has 3 pins. Jumped out middle pin and one of the end pins, compressor did not engage but this definitely turned on both fans to high speed.....

When he ac is turned on the ac fans should come on high , how are you checking the freon levels ??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They only come on slow or medium when I turn on ac. I know what your talking about, I have seen and heard these on high before. They are not on high. Did some more troubleshooting....l noticed when I turned car off and removed key, I checked connection at compressor. With car off, the clutch was still engaging and when I pulled connector apart it disengaged. I believe this is what ran down my battery (it was 4 years old) but just checked again and still trying to engage with car off. I had mentioned before I was still getting 12 volts at connector with car off. I bought a can of freon and connected to low side.....reading very high, about 130lbs.

They should come on high speed you may have a issue with the fans control module located under the battery tray causing the issue where its also draining the battery i recommend you check this . I hope this helps. Please dont forget to provide positive feedback for the help provided thank you