Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.

My 1997 VW Golf will not start. When I try I hear a single

Customer Question

My 1997 VW Golf will not start. When I try I hear a single click in the engine compartment around the alternator and nothing happens. Pulled codes and got P1544 and P0121 both pending.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No. Battery, starter, and alternator tested fine yesterday. Sometimes it will start with no issues but not to day.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I want to fix.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I replaced coil
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: fuel pressure sensor
Category: VW
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Replaced fuel pump relay
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
correction replaced
fuel pressure regulator
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do I do now?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Replaced fuel filter too
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
yesterday sometimes it starts and sometimes not. We did successfully push start it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
today turn the key and vehicle doesn't try to do anytrhing. However, just successfully push started it.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to determine why the engine will not crank you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below. Run through them and post back if you need more help with this and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ron - This also mentions the Alarm system. Where can I find Troubleshooting Procedure #20.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe this problem has started since replacing the factory radio with an aftermarket one. The after market system leaves one of the original wiring harness plugs unplugged. Not sure if there is something going on with the factory alarm that is immobilizing the car....