vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

EPC and check engine light came on, at the same time the car

Customer Question

EPC and check engine light came on, at the same time the car lurched a little and now I can't go above 20mph
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Its solid, not before this happened
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2009 Jetta S, 2.5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just occurred this morning, haven't tried anything yet, trying to determine what it means.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not at this time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

With the epc light on it is a major thing . that is why the throttle is reduced . Was a scan test performed to see what faults are stored?