Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Waining starter issue. Meaning turn key on and off then on

Customer Question

Waining starter issue. Meaning turn key on and off then on to "catch a good spot" then no issue starting. Last night stop then got back in and zero starter activity. Replaced starter as it was well worn. Great battery at 12.69v but no starter motor activity.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park
JA: What year is your V?
Customer: 07 jetta tdi dsg
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Just told you.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Thats all. Problem came out of the blue save for several months of waining starter. Hard to believe the starter alone wasnt the culprit.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Is there any click at all when trying to start?

do you have a digital volt meter?

i do need a vin # ***** assist

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Zero click at starter.when engaging key /cylinder i hear clicks at 460 relays behind dash.
3Vwct71k16m851420
Volt meter yes
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

ok i do need you to disconnect the small wire at the starter and measure the voltage at that wire when cranking please

thanks and let me know what voltage it has

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
11.7
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

THAT IS ON THE SMALL WIRE CORRECT ? IF SO WHAT IS THE BATTERY VOLTAGE AT THE BATTERY THEN?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
12.62
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

ok you have a 1 volt drop and need to isolate why . for a quick check if you take a jumper wire from the positive cable post to the starter (small terminal) that you removed and go directly in the starter does it crank?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
11.72v seems more than enough to move a solenoid but I'll che x k it.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

you will be suprised!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found it before trying direct wire. Problem was bent spade deep in the solenoid's connector socket. 3 maybe 4 position grooves to make sure the female connector engaged perfectly and I had zero connection....?????
I fixed it. Works perfectly.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

that is great to hear!!!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang