Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with experience in VW/Audi specialty shop

I have a 2009 Vw caravelle 2.5TDI, the right rear door is

Customer Question

good afternoon Pearl,
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: I have a 2009 Vw caravelle 2.5TDI , the right rear door is closed and its flashing in the instrument cluster its open and the chime wont stop beeping . I have ordered a new door mechanism , which will take 2 weeks to get to me as I am in Bermuda , my car is a taxi and the beeping sound is driving me and my clients crazy ... is there a why to silence that chime
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: it stops when I stop and the words stop flashing until I take off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we my mechanic and others lol have disconnected every one of the door connections every thing that's on the doors with wirers and the beeping wont go away
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: after we did all that, the computer diagnostics VAG read out said the door module needs to be replaced
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately the chime can not be disabled yourself, as it is integrated into the dash module... there is nothing that can be unplugged etc, it is part of an internal circuit board.
The dealer can disable the warning ("can", though since it is a safety device they often will decline to do so) via the scan tool.
For temporary relief, what you can do is unplug the electrics to the door and that should silence the warning. Since the system detects a ground when the door is ajar, when you unplug the electrics this will disable the ground indicating the door is ajar and should silence the alarm. You will loose all power to the door however.
This is fairly invasive requiring removal of interior panels to get to the harnesses for the door and should be done by a shop to minimize damage.

Apart from that option, the only other thing you can try is giving the door a few hard slams to try to jar loose whatever portion of the mechanism is sticking and giving the erroneous open signal. This won't work if the switch itself is bad etc, but if it is just sticking that will sometimes free it up temporarily.

Expert:  Doug replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you need more help or if we can close out this ticket.