gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

Danny I just purchased a Volkswagen Beetle and everything

Customer Question

Hi Danny I just purchased a Volkswagen Beetle and everything electrical works great but I cannot get the car to start I have changed out the Battery, new oil etc but the car sounds like it wants to start but it wont can you give me some suggestions Thank Carolyn
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No the engine does not turn over and I just put a new battery in
JA: What year is your Volkswagen Beetle?
Customer: 2002Volkswagon GLX Turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix this myself I just need another brain to pick
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: We put anew starter in the car has been sitting for almost a year according to the previous owner but I do not know if he is trustworthy the car cranks slow the ground wire from the Battery seems ok,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 4 months ago.

So the engine sounds like it is cranking slower than it should?

Any idea why it was parked up for a year?

How many miles on this vehicle? Have you checked the timing belt?

Have you checked the fuel at all, or drained and refilled it? Modern gas tends to go bad in less than a month sitting without being treated, and depending on how full the tank is it may not take long for it all to go bad.

We may have to do the basics- checking to see if you hear the fuel pump (under the rear seat there is an access plate to the pump, lifting the seat will help to hear it easier. Then checking to see if you have spark, checking for fuel flow to the rail (and taking a sample to check the smell/quality and making sure there is no water in it)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car has 130k miles on it there was no fuel in the tank we added gas 3 gallons of 93 octane fuel and .5 can of seafoam still no turn on for the car changed the starter placed a new battery and still cranks very slowly it will loe over 3 times the the cylanoid stats to click we have not changed the timing belt
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 3 months ago.

Have you tried pulling the spark plugs, and seeing if it cranks over freely with no compression? Just don't leave any rags or anything near the plug holes that would get sucked in when the intake stroke happens.