Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 2003 vw Beetle 1.8L Turbo and it is running very

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, I have a 2003 vw Beetle 1.8L Turbo and it is running very badly. EPC light is on and its cutting off at red lights, in limp mode after driving for about 5 minutes, had it scanned and the following codes came up P0300, P0411, P0221, P2181, all in that order
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: yes I have reset it numerous times and it goes back to limp mode and cp light after about 10 miles. I had the throttle body cleaned by an independent mechanic and I know that it has to be recalibrated to the car.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ecp light I mean
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I hear a low moan like whine coming from the secondary air injection area like some vacuum hoses are loose.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and I will post back with your reply ASAP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Chad

great, also let me know anything you done as far as repairs if any then cleaning throttle body

Thanks

This P0221 is an issue ,cause it will throw all the P0300

The P0411 is your secondary air injection pump, that humming noise you hear,, pump, solenoid ,and all vacuum connection needs checked

The p2181 is the ECT ,engine coolant temp sensor is defective or the connection, check for power and ground .

if the p0221 turned out to be ecm ground related , most likely the p2181 will be too, so check it.

You can run the test below to check the throttle body power & grounds an d eliminate that , if all good then throttle body , but a lack of scanner to calibrate will be an issue, it will run but not well !

Throttle Valve Control Module, Checking NOTE: Use only gold-plated terminals when servicing terminals in harness connector of throttle valve control module. Function The throttle valve activation occurs via an electric motor (throttle drive) in the throttle valve control module. It is activated by the Engine Control Module (ECM) according to specifications of the two sensors, Throttle Position (TP) Sensor -G79- and Sender -2- for accelerator pedal position -G185-, function of the E-gas system. Components of Throttle Valve Control Module -J338-: - Throttle drive (power accelerator actuation) -G186- - Angle sensor -1- for throttle drive (power accelerator actuation) -G187- - Angle sensor -2- for throttle drive (power accelerator actuation) -G188- Recommended special tools and equipment - VAG1526 multimeter or VAG1715 multimeter - VAG1594 connector test kit - Wiring diagram Test requirements

Zoom and Print Options

- The respective fuses of Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) -J220- must be OK.
- Battery voltage must be at least 11.5 volts.
- All electrical consumers such as, for example, lights and rear window defroster must be switched off.
- Parking brake must be engaged or else daylight driving lights will be switched on.
- If vehicle is equipped with an A/C system, it must be switched off.
- Ground (GND) connections between engine and chassis must be OK.
- Throttle valve must not be damaged or dirty.
- Coolant temperature must be at least 80 degrees C, Diagnostic mode 1: Check measuring values; PID 5, Coolant temperature. See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Diagnostic Mode 1: Check Measured Values

Function test
- Connect diagnostic tester. See: Computers and Control Systems > Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes > Diagnostic Tester, Connecting
- Switch ignition on.
- Under address word 33, select "Diagnostic mode 1: Checking measured values."
- Select the measuring value "PID 17: Throttle valve position (absolute)."
- Check specified value of throttle valve position (absolute) at idle stop:

- Slowly depress accelerator pedal up to Wide Open Throttle (WOT) stop while observing the percentage display.

The percentage display must increase uniformly.

- Check specified value of throttle valve position (absolute) at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) stop:

- End diagnosis and switch ignition off.

If specified values are not obtained:

Check resistance
- Connect test box to control module wiring harness, connect test box for wiring test. Engine Control Module (ECM) is not connected.
- Measure resistance of throttle valve drive between test box sockets 117 +118
Specified value: 1...5 ohms

If specified value is not obtained:
- Replace Throttle Valve Control Module -J338-, item 20
- Erase DTC memory of Engine Control Module (ECM), Diagnostic mode 4: Reset/erase diagnostic data. See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Diagnostic Mode 4: Reset/Erase Diagnostic Data
- Generate readiness code. See: Computers and Control Systems > Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes

If specified value is obtained:
- Check voltage supply of throttle valve control module and wiring to control module.
- Check Throttle Position (TP) Sensor -G79- and Sender -2- for accelerator pedal position -G185-. See: Throttle Position Sensor > Component Tests and General Diagnostics

If voltage supply and wires are OK:
- Replace Motronic Engine Control Module (ECM) -J220-.

Checking voltage supply and wiring to control module

Zoom and Print Options

- Disconnect 6-pin connector -2- at the throttle valve control module -1-.

- Connect multimeter to terminals 2 + 6 of connector for voltage measurement.
- Switch ignition on.
Specified value: at least 4.5 V
- Switch ignition off.

- Connect multimeter to terminal 2 of connector and Ground (GND) for voltage measurement.
- Switch ignition on.
Specified value: at least 4.5 V
- Switch ignition off.
- Connect test box to control module wiring harness, connect test box for wiring test.

Engine Control Module (ECM) is not connected.

- Check wires between test box and 6-pin connector for open circuit according to wiring diagram:
Terminal 1 + socket 92
Terminal 2 + socket 83
Terminal 3 + socket 117
Terminal 4 + socket 84
Terminal 5 + socket 118
Terminal 6 + socket 91
Wire resistance: max. 1.5 ohms

- Also check wires for short circuit to each other.
Specified value: Infinite Ohms

If no malfunctions are found in wires:
- Check voltage supply of Engine Control Module ECM). See: Engine Control Module > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > ECM Voltage Supply, Checking
- Erase DTC memory of Engine Control Module ECM), Diagnostic mode 4: Reset/erase diagnostic data. See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Diagnostic Mode 4: Reset/Erase Diagnostic Data

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)