Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a Golf mk 5 which we owned from new. Recently, the

Customer Question

I have a Golf mk 5 which we owned from new. Recently, the passenger front door ( it is RHD ) stopped unlocking from the key fob or from the unlock button inside the car. The front passenger door can be opened once inside the car, using 2 operations of the relevant door lever. All other doors and the trunk ( boot/ Reese
JA: Have you checked the battery in the fob? Will the car open with another remote?
Customer: it won't operate from either remote
JA: What year is your Golf?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The car and I live in Cyprus, which has one dealer distributor. They suggested contacting an auto electrician. I have started to feel like they are trying to work out how much I can afford. My wife, who has driven a succession of Golfs for 25 or 30 years, refuses to accept that doing nothing may be the best solution until something bigger breaks.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Never been in any sort of accident or shunt. Cyprus is very dry and we don't have rust. Total milage is about 60k kilometers or 40k miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

On your vehicle you will need a door latch assy for sure and possible a door harness.

on the mk5 it is real common for the latch due to constant use of locking and unlocking the door . the harness likes to chaff at the flex point from the body to the door.

i would recommend replace both at the same time and you will be in great shape.

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang