Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

My girlfriend has a 1998 vw beetle 2.0 that all of a sudden

Customer Question

my girlfriend has a 1998 vw beetle 2.0 that all of a sudden turns over but won't crank. The other day we were headed to the post office. The car started hesitating would only go like 10 mph for a few seconds. Turned it off turned it back on and again only drove 10 mph. Turned it off and tried to turn on again wouldn't start. Got it towed home. Proceeded to check it started with the fuel pump I pulled the line going from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. Turned the car to on position and gas shot out so I know it wasn't the fuel pump. Then I proceeded to check spark plugs the were gassed out. So I replaced them also. Car still turns over but won't start. what could it be?
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Perfect

fuel shooting out is good , but lets also check the fuel pressure , i will get the specs for it and send it here ?

is there a check engine light one and have u had a scan and was there any codes ?

most possible causes

1- mass air flow sensor

2- CKP sensor (Crank Shaft PostionSensor )

3- Fuel pump , if not up to specs

let me look up specs be right back

thanks

Chad (jhook1398)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am aware that the mass airflow sensor is bad. Ive been riding with it unplugged until i get a new ome. Very expensive part but yhe car was running fine still with it unplugged.

yes you can , but will be riding on a open loop , means will spend gas like crazy or at least it should :)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it burns more gas but im fine with that for right now.

1998 Volkswagen New Beetle (1C1) L4-2.0L (AEG)

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

System Pressure 2.5 bar The 2.5 bar is 36.26 PSI on your standard fuel gauge
Note: Approximate

Residual Pressure
Note: Ignition off, after 10 minutes 2.0 bar
Note: Minimum.

ok how about codes , do u have a scanner ?

do u have a fuel pressure tester so we can check fuel pressure ?

when it doesn't start are you getting spark ?

let me know

Thanks

Chad(akajhook1398)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do i test for spark from the actually plugs or from the coil of each wire and i do have a scanner just cant loacte it right now

just pull one spark plug out and and then reinserted on the spark plug wire tube and lay it on the metal engine surface and see if you get spark while you spinning the engine

1

I sent you a diagram for it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i test for spark going to the coil?

you want to test the spark plug is arcing while it plugged in , if u have an inline spark tester you can test from there, u can leave the spark plug alone and just test from

the end of the spark plug wire , using a screwdriver ,dont matter , but using the spark plug, at least we know how that spark looks like at the end the plug.

let me know what you get

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay sgill working on it had to get my kids from daycare
Ok no problem , on way home myself , from my shop, but just reply back whenever you can, I m online daily ,10 am till 12 pm
Or tommorow , don't matter , the post will stay open
Chad (aka-jhook1398)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay I'm back and I have your codes I found my scanner.P0341 which is camshaft however that's already been changedP0102 mass air flowP0112 intake air temperature sensorP0131 oxygen sensor bank 1

great

Ok if the fuel pressure is 36 psi and the air breather hose connected to the mass air flow sensor is not cracked and sucking air

then you need to replace the mass air flow sensor , that is your problem

The P0112 and the p0131 for now , i will leave alone until i change the mass air flow sensor and i dont believe they will come back

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka - Jhook1398 )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But how can it all of a sudden not start with the mass air flow sensor being bad. If it was starting and running fine this whole time it was unplugged.

1-the mass air flow is causing no power when you cant go but 10 mph per hour ( that is as long your fuel pump is putting out 36 psi at all times and not leaking down when it sits

and causing the no start , so hooking up a fuel pressure tester and checking and let it run and then cut off and see how long that pressure being held , is it leaking down ?

2-the ckp sensor will be no start condition and will not throw a fault code

3- fuel pump if low pressure or not holding pressure

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the crankshaft position sensor located on the car.

it is right under the oil filter

it will be hard to see with out taking filter out, but smack right below it

this is you tube video if that helps you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7AdZzHPn0g