vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

It will run fine, over the past 2 months, about 5 times I

Customer Question

it will run fine, over the past 2 months, about 5 times I park, run inside a store, come out and it will not start. Since it is diesel, not alot can go wrong, I crank it until it starts, Yesterday, i was going out of the parking lot and it died, i finally got it started and came home - everything else is fine - i tried it several times this morning, and it seems to be fine - but the dealership can't find anything wrong, any suggestions, because something is wrong
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: Yes break lights, no codes
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2006 beetle, 60,000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I don't know where to start - there is no warning, when it happens, and the dealership had it 3 weeks ago and can't get the problem to repeat
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the car is used, I have owned it for 18 months, bought it from a private individual with 45,000 miles, - i have done all the regular maintenance
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 months ago.

Ok what was common on this model to cause issues like the one you are having are a sporadic issue with the crank sensor have them check this , i remember this being a hard issue to fix but one common issue was the cranks sensor causing this issue .I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to provide positive feedback for the help provided thank you