peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

I get the message "fault running gear workshop" what does

Customer Question

I get the message "fault running gear workshop " what does that mean ?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 167.000 km, I think I saw something like water under the car 2 days ago but nothing since
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: it is model 2004 RT 5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I havent done anything yet but I was trying to picture what it could be , befoe I go to the VW workshop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no nothing I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If it was just plain water running out and not green,red or orange in color this is most likely the ac drain draining the moisture build up on the ac evaporater if you had been using your ac and this is normal.If it had a color to it or the ac was not being used let me know.

The message you see is letting you know the engine/transmission computer has detected a fault with one or more components in the transmission/gear box itself.What has to be done from here is the vehicle has to be scanned for any fault codes set using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this is done any codes set can be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.I have seen issues with internal transmission sensor failure as well as solenoid failure in the gear box that can cause this as well as internal mechanical faults like the gear box/transmission valve body.The codes will need checked to help locate and pinpoint the cause then from there repaired to correct this fault.

Usually this is done by a work shop or dealer that can read the codes with their scan tool/computer and diagnose the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete