vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My key fob is stuck in the ignition of my 2006 passat, It's

Customer Question

My key fob is stuck in the ignition of my 2006 passat
JA: Have you checked the battery in the fob? Will the car open with another remote?
Customer: It's a brand new fob, 3 weeks old
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pushing key in, getting it out of park, turning the wheel. Yes, we are trying to fix this our son is stranded in North Carolina
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Key was programmed 3 weeks ago, no issues until now when he stopped for gas
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need some more info.

does the vehicle start and run or does it stall?

what happens if you have the key off and when you press the brake and the selector lever button at the same time does the key come out?