vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

A 10 amp fuse that controls this 2001 Passat's heat/AC,

Customer Question

A 10 amp fuse that controls this 2001 Passat's heat/AC, steering wheel controls and seat heat blew two weeks ago. I replaced it and everything worked for several days when it blew again. Now the fuse blows immediately. The fuse is at the middle of the top of the fuse panel.
JA: Have you had any recent electrical work done on the car? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: No recent work or any ever for that matter.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I hope, I don't know where to start.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes, the AC has worked perfectly but the head mode has not worked for a couple of months.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  StLouisWayne replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Try unplugging the seat heater and replacing the fuse. Let me know if that makes a difference.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll let you know later today. Thanks

No problem. I will be standing by.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wayne, I unplugged the green heated seat jack and put on a new 10 amp fuse. It blew immediately when I turned on the ignition. Any other suggestions.

What fuse number is *****?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
From the fuse card it appears to be #5.

Get a box of fuses and start unplugging stuff. Try unplugging the A/C clutch next.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I have some fuses. Is the AC clutch switch #13 or #25? The icons on the fuse card led themselves to interpretation.

The A/C clutch is on fuse 5. Unplug it at the clutch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5 is the fuse that has been blowing, so this time I'll look for the plug at the AC unit. I hope that's easy to find.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The AC compressor is on the left side of the Passat's V6 motor and is not accessible from the engine bay. So it appears that the engine belly pan must be removed in order to get to it from below. Any suggestions?

Get it up on jackstands and remove it. Thats my suggestion. There a lot of sensors and stuff youre gonna have to unplug to find this... may as well get it out of the way.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. The weekend is here so what else do I hope to do! I knew this wouldn't be simple. I'm 78,but still capable of getting down and greasy. Have a good weekend. Roy

Yeah sorry about that. Ill be around all weekend though so you get to set the pace.