sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2012 GTI cranks but won't start : original battery. cranks

Customer Question

2012 GTI cranks but won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: original battery. cranks when you press start button but does not start
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: don't know what else to say engine cranks but doesn't start
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: depends on what the problem is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help! First, do you have access to any diagnostic tools like a scanner or fuel pressure tester?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Ok, the only way to accurately diagnose a crank/no start concern is to use a scan tool. You could be looking at replacing a fuel pump, camshaft or crankshaft sensor, or you could even have an internal engine issue. If you don't have access to basic diagnostic equipment there's nothing I can do that will help you. Your best bet is to have it towed to a reputable shop. Good luck and have a good evening.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

As mentioned above, it's going to take some testing to determine the cause of the no start condition. There are literally dozens of things that can prevent the engine from starting. You could be missing spark due to a cam or crank sensor, wiring issue, incorrect cam timing, you may be missing fuel pressure due to a failed pump or a loss of power or ground to the pump. The problem could be fuel contamination or an exhaust restriction.

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the ignition is turned on?