peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I have a blank inst. cluster & no power to the ecm. relay

Customer Question

I have a blank inst. cluster & no power to the ecm. relay 109 (new 109) is getting power and energizing pin 87. The battery is 12.5vdc. A low battery seemed to trigger this problem.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here is to check and see if any fault codes are set in any of the vehicle computers.If any codes are set this may be disabling certain voltage signals and the codes would need cleared out or diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault.The codes need checked with a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete, thanks for responding. I am toward the end of auto to manual swap. All the mechanical work is complete except for some interior reassembly. So as you can imagine I get fault codes from the TCM, (is the module on the trans or the car?).
The issue with cluster started after the mechanical work was completed with the clock showing odd lines. Then the cluster stopped showing the odometer/trip & clock readings. I ran a VCDS-Lite scan, the ECM showed no response. Follows is the results of the scan. I also have the Bentley Repair Manual online.VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Sunday, 12 June 2016, 04:43:07:51196Chassis Type: 9M - VW Jetta IV
Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,16,17,19,22,29,35,36,37,39,46,47,55,56,57,75,76
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01M-927-733.LBL
Controller: 01M 927 733 KT
Component: AG4 Getriebe 01M 4891
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 8C6B60CFAF53
11 Faults Found:
00258 - Solenoid Valve 1 (N88)
36-00 - Open Circuit
00260 - Solenoid Valve 2 (N89)
36-00 - Open Circuit
00262 - Solenoid Valve 3 (N90)
36-00 - Open Circuit
00264 - Solenoid Valve 4 (N91)
36-00 - Open Circuit
00266 - Solenoid Valve 5 (N92)
36-00 - Open Circuit
00270 - Solenoid Valve 7 (N94)
36-00 - Open Circuit
00293 - Multi-function Switch (F125)
25-00 - Unknown Switch Condition
00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
03-00 - No Signal
01236 - Shift Selector Locking Solenoid (N110)
31-00 - Open or Short to Ground
00297 - Gearbox Speed Sensor (G38)
03-00 - No Signal
01192 - Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
04-10 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ABS.LBL
Controller: 1C0 907 379 J
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0103
Coding:(###) ###-#### Shop #: WSC 05095
VCID:(###) ###-####E831
2 Faults Found:
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
003 - Mechanical Failure - IntermittentEnd --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The cluster would activate normally with ignition on until the clock/oddm stopped working. Then nothing with ignition on/off.

The TCM is located under the hood on your model on the passenger side as shown here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln6a5mp09sjm831/tcm-06-13.gif?dl=0

Since you have swapped from an auto transmission to a manual the TCM is not seeing the transmission and in turn this is causing data problems with other control units/ecu's and can cause the cluster issue as well as the no communication with ECM fault.I havent done this swap myself but my guess here is you will probably have to see if a dealer can do any kind of reprogram to make your computers think that it has a manual transmission instead of the auto so they communicate and operate again.In some cases this can involve replacing some control units/ecu's and wiring as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All fuses inside have been checked, (12vdc on both side of the fuse). Also checked the fusible links in engine compartment (pierce the wire exiting fuse block to check for 12vdc). Also redid ground points inside and out. I have no voltage loss across grounds.

Did you get my last reply at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The swap has been completed by many and does not require an ecu swap, but I do need to communicate with it to tell it, it has a manual trans. My problem is I can not communicate with the ecm and the cluster is blank. This happened AFTER the swap. I don't see it as related. Could we please proceed on this assumption?

Unfortunately this is a difficult one for me to diagnose myself here but others here may be able to help more.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All your responses are blurred out. I can not read them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pete I am confident you could have helped me. I don't need help with the trans wiring just the stated issue.