rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Losing fuel power while driving, usually on incline and

Customer Question

Losing fuel power while driving, usually on incline and after tank is below half. Gas mileage is definitely decreasing as well.
JA: When did you last have your air filters replaced? How old are the spark plugs?
Customer: Spark plugs are a year and half since replaced and air filter was replaced 1 month ago
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Electrical power stays on. It loses fuel power for about 5 seconds and then it starts working again. Not consistent - not every day, not every incline. Today is stalled for about 30 seconds on high way before it picked up again just fine.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible, yes
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: There has been some intermittent electrical not working with gas pump door and driver side back seat door lock, but don't think it's related
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This can be a problem with the fuel pump having a bad armature. It needs to be tested with a lab scope. See attachment for waveform.

Thanks, Ron