sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My vw new beetle has a slow ground somewhere. When unhooked

Customer Question

My vw new beetle has a slow ground somewhere. When unhooked the battery stays charged. A test light lit up when hooked between the pos post and the unhooked pos terminal. I took out every fuse and the test light stayed on. Is there any way to check any thing else?
Category: VW
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 5 months ago.

deleted

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there.

If you suspect your battery is getting drained by a parasitic draw, then a test light is not the correct tool to use as it cannot detect allowed draws of up to 0.030 amps.

To do this correctly, first make sure the battery has been load tested and is fully charged (12.6 volts); then install an ammeter in series between the battery negative post and the negative cable. Make sure that all accessories are off and the key is off the ignition; then close and lock all doors. Wait 5 minutes and check the ammeter; system is OK if reading is below 0.030 Amps (30 milliamps). A reading of more than 0.030 Amps indicates an unwanted parasitic draw - the actual reading would give us a better indication of where we need to do next.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the battery has 12.7V but I read 0.00 amps between the neg terminal and post. The voltage across them was 12.5V
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Earlier today with both terminals hooked to the battery with the engine off the voltage on the battery would drop 0.1V every couple of minutes. With a terminal off the battery held it's voltage.

OK. Does that mean you don't have an ammeter to use for these tests? If so, I’m sorry, but I don’t have any other information that could help you at this time. I’ll opt out so others may try. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will cycle this request back to me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a multimeter set for dc current up to 200mA It showed 0.00.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?