sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My car stalled yesterday in traffic and I was unable to

Customer Question

my car stalled yesterday in traffic and I was unable to start the vehicle, even after jumping it
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: the battery works, i don't know if it is fully charged but it was attached with cables to a running vehicle for about 30 minutes or more
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2006 jetta tdi
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i would like to fix it myself but i have limited skills. i tried jump starting with cables and also tried pushing the car to pop the clutch but neither worked. also there is an immobilization warning light code of some sort on the display
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: there is a rear brake light that works then doesn't work from time to time. no one has been able to fix it, it seems to work fine whenever a mechanic has it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If the engine died while driving and now the immobilizer light is on and it won't restart then I suspect the engine controller is not awake.If the ECM isn't awake it could be due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it.

Do you have a scan tool to check for ECM communication?