vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

Car turns over and ran few minutes. When it shut down there

Customer Question

Car turns over and ran for a few minutes. When it shut down there was relay chatter under the dash. Will not restart. Also the alternator cable over heats to fuse box on battery. Third wire on fuse box melted and battery melted top
JA: Will the battery hold a charge? Do you know the fuse number?
Customer: Battery holds charge. New in February this year. It is the 3rd of 5 cables on top of fuse box on battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: But the car ran and will not start. Noise was under dashboard in relay compt
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: I would like to fix it. I already know the alt harness must be replaced. It loses .92 volts to the battery
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 months ago.

Ok you need to replace the alternator harness since it has too much resistance and overheated the fuse box on top of the battery and more then likely melted the strip fuse that is between the melted cable and the 10mm nut on the other end of the fuse box , when we see high resistance on the cable like that we recommend you replace the cable , alternator and the fuse box and whatever strip fuse it has melted this should take car of your no start issue also . I hope this helps .PLease dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided thank you