rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My VW Beetle Convertible (2005) does not start. I started it

Customer Question

My VW Beetle Convertible (2005) does not start. I started it and all the incons came on; however they all disappeared except for the which I assume is the Generator icon. I tried to rev and it would not do that. I have had only two batteries. My question is whether I should have a charge to the battery or whether I should have the car towed since it might be an issue with the alternator (I don't want it to die in the middle of the street. I have not driven the car in two days.
Category: VW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I would have it towed so they can check everything in sequence by first charging the battery fully and load testing it, then checking the charging system and starter as well.

Thanks, Ron