gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2001 vw Passat v6 there are codes and the unit runs

Customer Question

I have a 2001 vw Passat v6 there are codes and the unit runs rough. p1522, p1131, p0571,p0431,p0421 and p1114. please advise.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can I would clear out/erase the fault codes then cycle the key off and then back on and operate the engine to see which code(s) come back again.These would be the codes that need diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.If you can get this done and let me know the codes coming up this will help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cleared the codes on Monday and the codes I wrote down came back on Wednesday. I'm a mechanic for Chrysler and this car belongs to my daughters friend. she had just bought the car used and is wondering if I could fix it. I told her I would do it. I have a solus pro scanner, if that helps, that will communicate with it.

O.k.,unfortunately after looking through my info on this model and the codes set here my info is not showing all of these codes to help diagnose this fault and I apologize for that.There should be others here that can assist further on this so I will open your question for others here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 months ago.

I would start out setting the vehicle up to check the timing, make sure the belt is dead on. If you don't have the special locking bar that goes across the camshafts, just make sure the holes in the cam plates (one large and one small, on opposite sides) are horizontal and the same ones are on the inside and outside (large or small holes)

It sounds like, from the fault, that it is the control of the camshaft adjuster on the driver side that is failing- either the signal to it, or the plastic guides are wearing and allowing too much chain slop and camshaft deviation. You may need to pull the valve cover to see.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you have any instructions, such as pictures, The tool that you are talking about I've seen it online for a price, not too much.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, THE TIMING BELT LOOKS TO BE IN TIME. The chain looks to have minimal slack. I rock the crank shaft back and forth and you can see the tensioner collapsing. Is this normal?

you can run the engine with the valve cover off, and see if it flops around with the engine idling. I'm assuming the fault is more electrical in nature though, the solenoid on the adjuster may be bad.