Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.

EPC warning light is on and we can't get the gas flap to

Customer Question

EPC warning light is on and we can't get the gas flap to open with the pullbutton on the inside driver door. We need to get gas now.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: I looked at them, but I don't know how to tell if one is blown. They all look the same.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: depends on what is wrong. I can change a fuse, but I have to get gas in the tank because it is out.
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: not that we're going to get into right now. The fuse may be the issue because the windows, interior lights and such also don't work, but I don't know how to tell if it is blown.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can tell me the year , make and model of your VW I will have a look at the fuel door control system and see if I can help you with this if you are still needing help. Post back with complete information and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2004 Passat Sedan. I looked at the fuses and they all appear to be okay (none of the metal connectors appear broken or damaged). There are several inches of water in the floorboards of the driver's side - more in the back seat floor area on the driver's side. Could this be shorting something? While I was looking at the fuses, the door locks started activating on their own, trying to lock but were unsuccessful They were moving a little and making a clicking noise and the light next to the pull piece was blinking. The key fob does not work at all. While we were able to get the trunk open, we now cannot get it to latch and stay closed. We tried pulling back the liner in the trunk to get to the gas door activator, but there is a steel box screwed into the top of the trunk just below the rear window and above where the gas door activator should be, so we cannot pull back the liner enough to even see the gas door area.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I forgot to thank you for responding.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Yes is very possible the water intrusion is causing a problem and the first thing you are going to need to do it to get the water removed and see if you can get things to dry out. In the mean time , pop the fuel door switch out and check and see if you have power in and out of it while pressing the switch. See the removal steps in the link below.