rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a Volkswagen Passat 2015 1.8T SE. My 2 questions are

Customer Question

I have a Volkswagen Passat 2015 1.8T SE. My 2 questions are back then my car when I got it a year ago, It was a little bit quieter starting up not to mention it also didn't sqeak like a high pitch noise whenever I would brake slowly. I have read that it could be the disk pads or the rotors for the noise. How can I know for sure what it is? I have taken it to the dealers for its 20,000-mile mark but they tell me they will check on it but never told me the results. I have a feeling they are not doing their job as they are supposed to. My second question is what can I do to make my car quiet like how I received it if not even more even when idle? Other quick simple questions just to have an idea, when am I supposed to change the oil, add brake fluid, steering wheel fluid, and antifreeze?
Category: VW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

That squeal is from the brake pad that is on the side of the piston, there is no anti squeal paste on the back of the pad that mates with the caliper piston.

Engine noise can travel through the car, but the only thing you can do about that is re-insulate the underside of the hood from the motor.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what do i need to do for the brake pad? replace it? i dont know anything about cars. Also when are you supposed to change the antifreeze, engine oil, and steering fluid? Mostly what is steering fluid used for?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Just add the compound to the rear side of that one pad.

Anti freeze every 2 years or 24K miles.

Engine oil every 5K miles.

Steering fluid every 50K miles.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Steering fluid is used for to P/S pump system.