vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

2012 Touareg VR6, 7P chassis. OEM trailer wiring installed

Customer Question

2012 Touareg VR6, 7P chassis. OEM trailer wiring installed by me. Trailer turn signals work. Trailer running lights work. Trailer 4-way flashers work. Trailer brakes work. Trailer brake lights do not.
JA: Have you checked the fuse? Have you checked for bad bulbs?
Customer: Well, trailer turn signals are the brake lights, so if 4-ways work then there isn't a problem with the trailer lights, right? Yes, I check all 4 fuses related to towing package on the starboard side of the dash. On 7L models (2007-2009), module 69 needs re-coded to 16386. We have coded the Gateway to include "trailer towing".
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Added Gateway to include "trailer towing". Same problem on earlier T'regs was solved by coding module 69 to be North Am/ROW instead of Europe.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope. Pretty sure it's a coding issue. We just need to know how to code block 69 on a 7P. It currently holds "0100000..0" instead of the 16835 that we expected.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

can you send a log of the 69 module so it shows the part # ***** and all of the information .

what scan tool are you using please?

i do need a vin # ***** the vehicle!!