Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a serious issue with my 2001 jetta vr6. it dropped

Customer Question

I have a serious issue with my 2001 jetta vr6. it dropped all its oil last week and took it to my mechanic. he cleaned all the oil around the engine and found a small 3/8 hole on the drivers side of the block with a bolt or peg sticking out of it spewing the oil out. we looked at another block and know that the hole is supposed to be there but not sure what it is for what plugs it and what the peg or bolt is and do not know what to call the part to search for it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 180k
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: 2.8 VR6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: don't think so.. ran well before that day and didn't run it out of oil completely.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I have a picture of the hole
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

can you provide a pic of the area and hole please

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
here is a picture that I took.. you can see some wiring from the coil pack and so that's where it is located. It looks like to me that there is something that popped out of that hole that held that peg in and the oil in???
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

does the car still run?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does. I didn't run it completely out and they filled it back up to see where it was leaking out of when they started it.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

looks like the transmission needs to be removed and replace the timing cover and at that time highly recommend replace the timing chains and guides and the hydraulic tensioner for the chains!!!