vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

1999 VW Jetta having issues with AC and also the fan does

Customer Question

1999 VW Jetta having issues with AC and also the fan does not work at all. Fuses are okay - any idea what's the issue?
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The AC does not work, it may be the compressor; then I noticed that the fan did not work for the heater / defroster / etc. I checked fuse #5 - #16 - #25 and all seemed okay.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I was - however, I thought it was the fuse issue. Now I am not sure and also not sure if it is worth fixing!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: 16 year old car - $134,000 miles - passed PA inspection good til 4/2017. Always has run well - does not get much use anymore.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 months ago.

If the fans are not working then the ac compressor will also not work , you will need to remove the fan connector off the bottom of the radiator and power up the compressor connector directly from the battery and see if each fan comes on inn high and low speed . If they do then you have good fans just incorrect signal more then likely failed strip fuses on top of the battery box or ta faulty fan control module check this first . The fan control module is located under the battery tray better seen from the bottom of the vehicle . I hope this helps .

Please dont forget to provide positive feedback for the help provided thank you