Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Key will not insert into ignition : Looks like a piece of

Customer Question

Key will not insert into ignition
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Looks like a piece of plastic or metal from the key cylinder is blocking key from being fully inserted
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes it is memorial weekend late at night as we are out of town
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Using a knife and lubricant to try to push piece back. It is not working
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: It a Volkswagen passat. 2012
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so you will want to rate me with EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

When the key will no go in, that means the key is damaged or the tumblers are damaged in the lock cylinder. Out of town and being its the weekend. Your not in a good scenario. Try using something soft like a shoe, piece of wood or rubber mallet to knock the key into the slot. If so and it turns, I would not remove it until at a shop that can repair it. This is a chipped key so replacing the cylinder and key is not that simple without the appropriate tools.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the top of your screen you will see 1-5 stars and a green submit button. You have already paid all the fees, now its time to rate the answer. Rating pays me from your deposit. I am only paid through not by the website if you rate me. Don't worry about a follow up later if needed, they are free and I welcome them. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris