Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

2004 vw golf gti ac compressor not coming on has constant 12

Customer Question

2004 vw golf gti ac compressor not coming on has constant 12 v to it
Category: VW
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Is the 12 v the add on wire you did? Also does it have a good ground? And carefully tap on the front of the compressor and see if it starts.Let me know so I can continue to assist.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a add on but the wire that is connected has 12 v all the time I tried tapping in it and nothing
I don't have the diagram in front of me right now. I'm out of the shop just on my phone, but if I remember right that compressor only has a single wire running to it correct?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it has 2 wires one hot one ground I'm sure the clutch is bad but why does it have 12 v all the time I thought it only had 12 when it called for it
Ok that's right it has the sanden SD7V16 Sanden compressor. Ok so I miss understood the problem. I thought you were wondering why it wasn't coming on and had added the constant 12v wire by jumping to the battery. So it has 12v all the time? AC off even? Howabout with the car off?
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ac off haven't checked it while the car is off
Just to make sure, when you say AC off, does that include the whole vent system off or just AC selection/button off? I ask becouse if the defrost is on it will request AC this sending power to the comp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
whole vent system off

ok gotcha. can you remove the ac relay and recheck for power? if none, great. If still there, then you have a wire that is melted or shorted to another power wire. let me know what you find so I can assist further. Thanks Sonny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told there is no relay on my car can't find nothing on a relay for my car s

ok, I will have to look up the diagram when I get back to work, but I am off till Monday now. So I will opt out for now and see if any one else can help you. if not I will jump back in when I get it. Sorry I wish I had it on me. Thanks Sonny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no prob thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need some more info

vin # ***** the vehicle.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9BWDE61JX44037297
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

sorry for the delay . you have stated some one has placed a hot wire direct to the compressor clutch ? can you get a pic for me on this and can you find the other end of the wire if possible?

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that to see if the clutch would engage it didn't so I plugged the correct wire back to the original way
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

any overheating of the engine or the cooling fans do not come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cooling fan works and the ac fan come on when you turn on the ac
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok then you will need a compressor clutch assy. with the fans coming on that means the pressure sensor and all of the parameters are correct to engage the clutch . with the clutch not operating with 12 v hot and the factory way the clutch is bad . the clutch is servicable separately so you do not have to empty the freon !!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the clutch is bad but why does the compressor have constant 12 v
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

it is a monitoring voltage for the fan control module but very low amps so the comressor clutch will not engage