Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs

I have a 2009 vw tiguan with 2.0 tsi engine. the engine

Customer Question

hello, i have a 2009 vw tiguan with 2.0 tsi engine. the engine suffered from the legendary timing chain tensioner failure and destroyed all the valves and 1 piston. i removed the engine and gave the head to my local machine shop where it was fully rebuilt and i replaced the 1 piston. now that its is all installed, when i rotate the engine by hand i can see into the intake side of the head on cylinder #1 that the internal egr intake valve is contacting with 1 of the exhaust valves. i have double checked my timing chain synchronization many times, even removed and reinstalled the timing chains per the all data directions to insure they are all properly on there marks. i have also checked the intake camshaft phaser and it is okay in its standard startup position with lock pin seated. i have not seen anything like this happen. Input from a vw tech would be great about now haha
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. do you have the upper chain cover off on tdc i do need a pic of the valves if possible and with the breather off i need a pic of the camshafts at tdc. did you use a new chain? and a new camshaft? please let me know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i do have both the upper and lower chain covers off. in these pictures the engine is at tdc. the first pic you can see the valves are very close and as you rotate the engine they do touch and push on each-other. yes i did use a new febi bilstine chain but the cams are give a better idea of the pictures the valves that are touching are the valves furthest from the timing chain on cylinder 1anything you need me to do i will be capable as i am a automotive technician as well but have not seen anything like this and have my own shop with no other techs to bounce ideas off of
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also i visited my VW dealer today and they provided me with the vw repair info for timing chains and i did this test in the picture and the measurement was correct on cams for both tests
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
ok you cannot check the measurement until the the top is installed and sealed down . the chain if new should have 3 gold links. 2 real close and the one that goes to the crank . line the marks of the cams to the chain and the mark on the bottom at the crank. make sure the new tensioner is mounted and torqued. then seal the upper cover and of the head with the guide mounted and torqued. timing will be correct. I hope you are using a new intake cam and the bridge that connects the 2 cams in the front . if you look at the old bridge the screen is missing and most likely in the camshaft. see pic anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.
let me know if you have any other questions if any!!