Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 98 Volkswagen Beetle 1.8 Sometimes it will start

Customer Question

I have a 98 Volkswagen Beetle 1.8
Sometimes it will start good and after is running for 5 to 10 minutes it will start misfiring really bad and it shows a lot of codes and I would like to know what can I do
Category: VW
Expert:  eauto replied 6 months ago.
what are the codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
P1543- throttle actuation potentiometer signal too low.
P0121- throttle/pedal position sensor switch A circuit range/ performence
P0510- closed throttle position switch
P0300- random/ multiple cylinder misfire
P0303- cylinder 3 misfire
P0302- cylinder 2 misfire
P1580- throttle actuator B1 malfunction
P0322- ignition/ distributor engine speed input circuit no signal.P0753- shift solenoid A
P0758- shift solenoid B
P0763- shift solenoid C
P0768- shift solenoid D
P0773- shift solenoid E
P1778- solenoid EV7 electrical malfunction
P0748- pressure control solenoid A
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. you have a compounded issue here . you have to take this step by step. do you have vag com scan tool ? if not what make and model do you have? thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I dont have a vag comIt's a 98 beetle 1.8
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
does the vehicle stall?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It will start fine but after a couple minutes it will start misfiring
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could it be the throttle
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
i'm trying to help but i do need you to answer the questions that i have asked. does the vehicle stall?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
ok the first thing is to replace the crank sensor located on the engine block on the driver side of the oil filter area . that will cause the engine to stall and may casue misfires because of the signal is breaking down. then clear the faults and then retest to see i any faults do return. anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will that fix the throttle too
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The codes from the throttle
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.
may yes and may no . need to rectify the stalling issue . the crank sensor uses the same ground for the throttle body so the crank sensor needs to be changed first !! then clear faults and then road test