Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

2005 jetta 2.5 intake cam keeps getting out of time. you can

Customer Question

2005 jetta 2.5 intake cam keeps getting out of time. you can put it in time runs for awhile then starts running bad. cam correlation code hits check cam timing intake cam will be out?
Category: VW
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 10 months ago.
Hello, if the cam gets out of time after you have set it on time correctly there may be a bad chain tensioner or variable timing solenoid. The tensioner is inside the timing cover and it pushes against one of the chain guides. If it is bad it can lose oil pressure and cause slack in the chain making it out of time. As far as the solenoid goes, if it has a dirty screen or it is sticking it can also cause the timing to go out. It is located on the intake side on the driver side of the engine. Both would cause a cam correlation code, but the solenoid is easier to check to start.If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.