vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

This is a continuation of last night. I checked the

Customer Question

This is a continuation of last night. I checked the passenger side pump and it runs for 30-45 seconds then stops. I need to make a correction. I did not replace the driver side one. It seems to be normal. runs for about 30 seconds then cuts off. Bad pump in passenger side?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.
ok stop the press!!! So tell me no pumps were replaced at all?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I decided to try a few things this morning. Here is what I figured out. Secondary pump/ passenger side is working fine. Cuts off after 30 seconds. Primary pump/drivers side is most likely not pumping enough gas. I pull the primary relay switch and the secondary pump thinks the primary is not working so it keeps running and keeps pumping. so it runs with the switch removed except I have both pumps running which is supplying too much gas to engine. Make sense? Sorry for the bad info. My mistake..
how do you know this? did you remove the lids of the tank?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm listening to the pumps. Does this make sense to you?
the main pump is the passenger side and needs to be replaced .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need a 100% answer on this. Why is the left one more expensive then if it is the secondary one? As I was listening the passenger side/ right switches off after 30 seconds and the left one seems to be acting up. I can only see a left and right pump on many of the websites.. Not one says primary or secondary thanks.
because its not just the pump its the hoses attached . recommend the dealer on this !!! i understand the to be cost effective on this but when one pump fails the other one is not shortly behind . At the dealer level we replace both pumps and the fuel filter lid assy !!