Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles

2002 VW Jetta TDI. No ignition power to radio or instrument

Customer Question

2002 VW Jetta TDI. No ignition power to radio or instrument cluster. Engine cranks and starts, but dies as soon as you return key to run position
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '02 VW?
Customer: GLS
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: 6 months
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: All fuses, Relay 109, All positive connections on relay panel (on battery and under dash)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.
Hey sorry to hear about your car problem .I have replaced a lot of ignition switch on that model year vw , how does the ignition switch feels when you turn the key ,does have a lot of play in it ?
does your vehicle has a security system in it and is it factory and does it have the security light on dash and if it does is flashing ,constantly on or off while you trying to start it ?thanks
The instrument cluster and radio gets its power feed from ignition switch so if u don't have that its another indication of a bad ignition switch ?