gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

It will not start, I think it is the security system JA: Does

Customer Question

It will not start, I think it is the security system
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes, the bat is fine
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: new fuel pump and filter but no fuel pressure
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i need to find out how the security system shuts the fuel pump down
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: it was running and I parked it on a lot to sell, went to start it and no fuel pressure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 5 months ago.
what year and model?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2002 vw new beetle diesel 1.8 L T
OK. So is it cranking and not starting, or not even cranking? How do you know there is no fuel pressure? Is this a Pumpe Duse (no injection pump) or does it have a diesel injection timing pump mounted to the front of the engine block?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has a injection timing pump on the front of the block. There is no pressure there, I broke a fitting lose and no fuel was coming out. You can not hear the fuel pump running. The fuel pump is factory new and a factory fuel filter also.
OK. And the timing belt is ok, I assume that may have been replaced with the pump? Was the fuel system work done right before you parked it out? I have seen the o-rings on the return fitting at the filter split if not replaced, and allow air into the filter. Since there is no in-tank fuel pump, you need to use a hand vacuum pump to pull fuel up through the filter to make sure it is full, then with one person cranking the car over, another person needs to crack the fuel lines at the injectors, closing them when they start spitting fuel. By the time you get three done it may start, do the last one quick.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried all of the above. The fuel pump is in the tank. I will check to see if it has power to the pump next. When I disconnect the battery there is a lot of current jumping across the connection. ei: When the car is off and you disconnect the battery there is a lot of sparking.
You want to figure out what is drawing all of that amperage- You want to go into the fuse boxes (start with the ones on top of the battery) and set up a meter for an amp draw, inline with the battery cable. Pull a fuse and see if your draw drops. One at a time, put each fuse back where it goes when done so they don't get confused.