gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

I have a 1999 VW Jetta V6. Ever since the weather has gotten

Customer Question

I have a 1999 VW Jetta V6. Ever since the weather has gotten a little warmer I am having a hard time getting my car to start. At first it would happen once in a while. Then temperature hit 50's and it happened a little more frequently. Now the temperature is in the 80's and doesn't want to start during cold or hot starts.I can drive the car in the morning park it at work and then try to start it at 5pm and it won't crank on the first try. Sometimes it will take 5 attempts and other times it takes 20 til it eventually starts. On other occasions I can try to start the car early in the morning with temperatures around 40's and it won't start. In a cold start up the car can usually start on the second try but once it starts its ok. If I turn off the ignition off after 30 seconds, the car will not start again and it can take multiple attempts to get it running. I have scanned the vehicle. There are no codes with the engine. I have replaced the crank and camshaft sensors. It has not change frequency or anything. I have also looked into the coolant temperature sensor before starting it. I have compared the coolant temperature sensor for the engine and gauge signal as reference. Signals are within 2 degrees off. I have also tried to start the vehicle with the MAF disconnected and nothing. I have checked fuel pressure and although I don't remember what it is at the moment, pressure is always still there even when the car is acting up. At this point I need some help. Both sensors that were installed are BOSCH.I am willing to pay for the help, however if you are not good with heat related starts please don't try to help. I would greatly appreciate it! If you have had experience with identical symptoms, I would like to talk to you. There's a difference between attempting and knowing what to look for. Thank you
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 5 months ago.
Is this an early 99 with a distributor or an A4 body style with a single coil with 6 wires?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Single coil with 6 wires
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If you are having second thoughts about my question, could you please make sure my question is available for other techinicans. Not really sure how this works but I dont want to miss out
OK- when it does not start, is it more than just an "extended crank time"? Or are you saying it does not even crank (turn the key and it does nothing?) If the latter, try holding the key in the start position for about 20 seconds and see if it suddenly decides to crank. Just in case, I would also check your wiring at the ignition swith, with tilt wheel and telescope those wires flex a lot and can break.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Car cranks. If I continue to hold the key while cranking the oil light will blink and sound a warning. I have tried to play with the ignition switch itself! I have unplugged the harness and inspected for any burning of the terminals and nothing! I have also moved the ignition swith wiring harness on the side of the steering colunm to isolate possible broken wires/damaged and nothing. It is still doing the samething! The symptoms will not change. I have tried to wiggle the key in the cylinder to see if anything acts up and nothing. I am stumped on this one. My next approach is checking and cleaning all engine/computer related grounds
Good, if it is cranking then I would check the usual in order- set up a plug wire for a spark test and make sure you have spark. Then if that's good pull the fuel line, put it in a glass container, and make sure you have fuel flow.
one of the most common issues with this era MK4 is the fuel pump relay, but that will usually give numerous short to ground faults.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont think you read what I wrote. The things you have described are things I havd done yo base my diagnosis on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You checked fuel pressure- with a gauge in line? Did you check for flow? No indication you checked for spark. These VR6S are notorious for coil issues.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My apologies I left this out of my description. When the car fails to start up, there is no spark or injector pulsation.The car does not sound like it wants to start, it just keeps cranking and the pitch doesnt change
Since you have a new crank sensor- does your tach show engine speed when cranking?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Couldnt wait any longer. Dealership is replaced the computer
OK- this is not very common, in fact VW issued a bulletin a few years back that said not to replace the ECM for faults other than the "control module faulty" fault. It must just be getting to the point where the A4s are starting to break down in this way. I have never replaced one in the shop, but had another person on here say that is what their problem was. sorry I couldn't be of more help.