gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

The steering is locked on a 2010 Beetle and the key will not

Customer Question

the steering is locked on a 2010 Beetle and the key will not turn on.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The key will not turn, the steering is locked even though the wheel are straight.
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: My daughter called and she is stranded 200 miles form home so I need some advice for her on unlocking the steering column.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: It has happened before when the car has been sitting in the sun and gets hot.
JA: I can help you talk to the mechanic. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: How do you unlock the steering column on a 2010 Beetle?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 months ago.
Typically what happens is the car is turned off and the key removed, and when you release the brake the steering my turn slightly, binding the column lock. You may need to try to turn the steering in one direction to release the tension, and try turning the key- if that doesn't work, do it in the other direction