vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

Volkswagen beetle: My daughter's 2001 Beetle is having problems.

Customer Question

My daughter's 2001 Beetle is having problems. 2 weeks ago we took it to the dealership and they stated it was in need of a new throttle body and it would be 1000.00. I ordered my own throttle body for 200.00 and then had it installed at the Volkswagen place. Now it is right back to square one. Same problem. Is it possible a brand new throttle body could be bad? Is it possible it was installed incorrectly? Or is it more likely another issue even though another mechanic has told me he pulled the codes and it is stating throttle body. Where can I go for answers? Thank you for your response. Tdriscoll
Category: VW
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me what the vehicle is doing and if the check engine light is on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the same exact thing as before the new throttle body was put on. motor is revving up and then dropping as if someone is pushing on the gas pedal while idling. we took it to auto store and got codes for throttle body again, and then I took it to a mechanic and he pulled codes and said it was throttle body. My question is, how can a brand new one be bad? Is that possible? it was put on 2 weeks ago today.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
and yes, the check engine light is on again.