Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

Volkswagen Cabriolet: I am working on 1987 VW Cabriolet. It

Customer Question

I am working on 1987 VW Cabriolet.
It was sitting for 2 years and now It does not want to start.
I have spark and when I put starting fluid in the fuel injector it starts right up for a second.
Ok, so it must be the fuel pump. I had to buy two, because one is in the tank and one is onder the rear seat.
Just put them in and nothing. It looks like I have good pressure all the way to the CIS Fuel distributor nothing is coming out of the distributor.
Thanx for the help.
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.What you can try is let someone assist you by cranking the engine when you push the butterfly in the distributor down. If the car start right-up it might be that the butterfly got sticky and does not open with the air sucksion, but if the car still does not start then check that there are no vacuum leaks in the system and also that the intake manifold rubber pipe is not letting any air into the manifold and or any connection to the manifold as well as the gasket on the cylinder head. if all is good you will have to remove the injectors and see that they are not dirty or gummed-up, the distributor can also have the same problem so you might have to repaired or replace it with a rebuild one.This should answer your question but should you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.Greetings,Martin.